London Tube strikes cancelled after last-minute talks
Strike action was due to take place on two days this week
Strikes planned for tomorrow and Thursday by London Underground drivers have been called off, the RMT union has confirmed.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union previously announced that its members were due to walk out for 24 hours from midday on Tuesday 19 May, and again on Thursday 21 May.
A union spokesperson said: “At the 11th hour, the employer has shifted its position, allowing us to further explore our members’ concerns around the imposition of new rosters, fatigue and safety issues.
“The dispute is not over and more strike action will follow if we fail to make sufficient progress.”
Strikes scheduled for 16 and 18 June have also been called off, but the union announced new 24-hour strike dates of 2 and 4 June if the dispute remains unresolved.
The union says its members oppose a new four-day working week arrangement on the underground.
Aslef train drivers’ union, which represents a slight majority of Tube drivers, has backed the TfL proposal.

Finn Brennan, Aslef district organiser for the Tube, said: “The introduction of the four-day week will be the biggest improvement in working conditions for Underground train drivers in decades.
“It means you will have working conditions that are as good as, or better than, those on any mainline train company.”
The RMT has previously accused Transport for London (TfL) of attempting to impose a new four-day working week, with general secretary Eddie Dempsey expressing frustration over the stalled negotiations.
Responding to the cancellation of the strike action, Nick Dent, director of customer operations for London Underground, said: “We are pleased that RMT has withdrawn its planned industrial action this week. This is good news for London.
“Our proposal for a voluntary four-day week is designed to improve both work-life balance for drivers and the reliability of service for customers.
“We look forward to further discussions on the implementation of these proposals with all of our trade unions.”
The planned strike action on the London Underground was due to take significant parts of the network out of action for half of two consecutive days, lasting from midday to midday.
Koichiko